The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) said it will hold a public meeting Tuesday in Zion, Illinois, on terminating the license for the nuclear power plant located there.
The NRC will review the plan and take comments at the meeting from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Illinois Beach Resort & Conference Center, 1 Lake Front Drive. Written comments may also be submitted until May 26. The plan covers site radiological information, demolition and decommissioning, and final radiological surveys and data needed to terminate the plant’s NRC license.
ZionSolutions assumed the license from Exelon in 2010 to decommission the plant. Zion Unit 2 was permanently shut down in 1996 and Unit 1 was shut down in 1997. Following decommissioning in 2018, the plant’s license will be transferred back to Exelon.
More information about Zion is available on the NRC website, www.nrc.gov. Written comments may be submitted via: the federal rulemaking website by searching on Docket ID NRC-2015-0082; by email to Carol.Gallagher@nrc.gov; or mail to Cindy Bladey, Office of Administration, Mail Stop: O12-H08, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001. Technical questions should be addressed to NRC Project Manager John Hickman at 301-415-3017, or by e-mail, John.Hickman@nrc.gov.
Zion nuclear plant license termination plan to be discussed at NRC meeting
Organizations in this story
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission 11545 Rockville Pike Rockville, MD 20852
- NRC plan would lower fees for most licensees, applicants in '16
- NEI unveils six more reactor safety, efficiency bulletins
- Nuclear power roars back globally since decline that began in late '90s
- Andreas Norland joins Skyharbour Resources advisory board
- Fourth Nuclear Industry Summit focuses on industry's direction, security issues
- NEI: Bill would help fuel 'new generation of reactor technologies'
- NEI praises Wisconsin for lifting ban on new nuclear plants
- House Republicans call for $66 million NRC budget cut
- Physicist: Chernobyl, Fukushima myths unfairly hurt nuclear power's image
- NRC to hold open house on review of Waterford plant's Unit 3 reactor