The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is hosting an open house Monday to review the safety performance of the Point Beach nuclear power plant.
NextEra Energy Point Beach LLC operates the two-unit plant in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, 13 miles northwest of Manitowoc. The open house is scheduled for 6-7:30 p.m. at the Lester Public Library, 1001 Adams St., Two Rivers. NRC staff will be available to talk about the plant’s 2014 performance and the agency’s oversight of the facility.
“NRC inspectors spend a significant amount of time monitoring a wide range of plant activities to ensure the plant operates safely,” NRC Region III Administrator Cynthia Pederson said. “Our hands-on approach is a key factor in protecting the public and environment.”
The NRC found two low to moderate significant safety issues at the plant’s Unit 1 last year and one at Unit 2. The company has taken actions to correct the problems, and the NRC concluded that both plants operated safely in 2014.
The NRC’s annual assessment letter and the most current performance information for the plant are on the agency’s website, www.nrc.gov.
NRC open house to review Point Beach nuclear plant's safety record
Organizations in this story
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission 11545 Rockville Pike Rockville, MD 20852
- NRC plan would lower fees for most licensees, applicants in '16
- NEI unveils six more reactor safety, efficiency bulletins
- Nuclear power roars back globally since decline that began in late '90s
- Andreas Norland joins Skyharbour Resources advisory board
- Fourth Nuclear Industry Summit focuses on industry's direction, security issues
- NEI: Bill would help fuel 'new generation of reactor technologies'
- NEI praises Wisconsin for lifting ban on new nuclear plants
- House Republicans call for $66 million NRC budget cut
- Physicist: Chernobyl, Fukushima myths unfairly hurt nuclear power's image
- NRC to hold open house on review of Waterford plant's Unit 3 reactor